Written on 25 January 2019
A normal occurrence during pregnancy is aversion to find. You may develop a disliking to food items you enjoyed before and it may get annoying if you’re unable to enjoy your meals properly.
Food aversion can occur at any stage during the pregnancy period but is more likely to occur during the first trimester.
The exact cause is unknown; however, the following factors may be responsible for it:
1. Hormonal fluctuations - It can be the result of the changes which your body undergoes with hormonal changes being one of them. The rising amount of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) hormone can be held responsible for cravings and food aversion.
2. Nausea - It is common during the early months of pregnancy and can be held responsible for avoidance of food.
3. Prophylaxis or Maternal & Embryonic protection - The hypothesis suggests that a pregnant woman’s body performs a beneficial function by expelling food items which may contain harmful micro-organisms and toxins, resulting in aversion to foods throughout pregnancy.
Common food aversions during pregnancy
It can be possible that you have an aversion towards a specific food items and later develop a craving for some. However, some of the most common aversions include:
Onion and Garlic
How to deal with food aversions?
There is no way to prevent this condition. However, you can manage the aversion by listening to your body and understanding its requirements.
To manage food aversion, you can ensure the following:
1. Avoid staying hungry for longer periods. An empty stomach can make you feel nauseous and develop aversion to food.
2. Focus on healthy eating and take small meals at regular intervals.
3. In case you have aversion to a particular food item, find out a substitute for it.
4. Avoid indulging in any unhealthy food items which isn’t good for you and the baby.
5. Consult your doctor on how you can meet your dietary requirements and whether you need to supplement your diet with any prenatal vitamins.
Read from 5000+ Articles, topics, verified by MYLO.
100% Secure Payment Using
Stay safe | Secure Checkout | Safe delivery
Have any Queries or Concerns?
Trusted by 10+ million young parents Mylo is India’s #1 Pregnancy & Parenting App. Mylo app will guide you through your whole parenting journey. Download now