An expecting mother who has reached the 10th week of pregnancy will experience some sudden changes in her body. Body pain and visible veins are some of these symptoms. The 10-week pregnancy belly size is not huge but it is the time when people start noticing it. The embryo inside the belly is regarded as a foetus only after the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Therefore, it is quite a milestone for the mother, father, and other family members. Let’s check the normal and abnormal things that can happen after completing the first trimester of pregnancy:
- After the 10th week, the doctor usually tries to check the heartbeat of the baby through ultrasound to ensure that everything is fine. The baby will also be checked visually through sonography. Though these things might tense young mothers, they are routine checkups and there is nothing to worry about.
- After completing a phase of 10-week pregnancy, the baby’s size will increase as the limbs, organs, and other parts of its body start developing. The bones and cartilages will be in their formative stage and eventually, the mother will start feeling the bump growing more quickly.
- Expecting mothers will experience the baby’s kick for the first time only after the first 20 weeks. Babies do practise kicks after the 10th week but those kicks are too imperceptible due to their small size. However, it is possible to feel them during the ultrasound tests.
- During the 10-week pregnancy, the baby’s size will only be equal to the size of a strawberry. It will be around 1.2 inches long and its weight will be around 0.14 ounces. In the next three weeks, the baby’s size will be twice as much as the 10-week pregnancy baby size.
- NT (Nuchal Translucency) test is carried out between the 10th and 14th weeks of pregnancy. It is conducted to check whether there are any chromosomal abnormalities in the baby. Diagnosing whether the baby has Down syndrome is one of the main reasons for conducting this test. It is performed with the help of a blood sample and ultrasound. Therefore, expecting mothers must develop the mental strength to deal with any inconsistencies during this time.
- A woman's abdomen will start stretching slowly to accommodate the growing baby. Therefore, some mothers might experience severe pain during this period while some mothers don’t experience as much pain. Usually, the mothers who are expecting twins experience much more pain than others.
- The breasts of the mother will start growing after the 10th week and it is quite normal. Morning sickness, fatigue, mood swings, and an increase in vaginal discharge are some common symptoms that mothers experience during this period. Everything is normal if the vaginal discharge is clear and odourless. However, if the discharge has a reddish or brownish tinge due to blood, it indicates abnormality. Under such circumstances, it would be better to consult a doctor.
- You will notice considerably more visible veins on your body. These are a sign of the extra blood circulating in your body for your growing baby. You may also notice spider veins appearing because of this.
- At the 10-week pregnancy size, the belly will develop an additional curve. Therefore, to-be mothers should wear flexible pants and extra loose clothes to avoid any discomfort.
- Gaining weight during the pregnancy period is normal. The weight gain could be substantial for mothers who are expecting twins. Some mothers also lose some weight because of morning sickness. All of these are normal symptoms. Therefore, these are nothing to worry about.
- If the weight of the expecting mothers continues to fall even after the feeling of nausea or morning sickness subsides, they should consult a doctor immediately. To avoid the feeling of nausea, they should have a small snack immediately after waking up.
It is natural for expecting mothers to be more cautious and sensitive after completing the first ten weeks of pregnancy. However, they also must prepare themselves physically and mentally for the remaining pregnancy period. They must have a nutritious diet enriched with vitamins and proteins, especially after the 10th week. They must consult the doctor and prepare a checklist of dos and don'ts for diet, exercise, and other routine elements. Finally, taking proper rest is a must to deal with hormonal changes.
You may like: What does a 10 weeks pregnant belly look like? (mylofamily.com)
Kate Marple. https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/week-by-week/10-weeks-pregnant. www.babycentre.com.
The Bump Editors. https://www.thebump.com/pregnancy-week-by-week/10-weeks-pregnant www.thebump.com.