Diet & Nutrition
Written on 14 August 2018
Tender coconut water is perfect combination of nutrients and electrolytes you require during pregnancy to prevent and manage dehydration, constipation and so many more problems. The best part is that it is a low- calorie drink which you can relish anytime to feel fresh and relaxed.
A cup (240 ml) of coconut water has 600 mg of potassium, 252 mg sodium, 2.6 g dietary fiber, 6 g sugar and 1.6 g protein. Other nutrients it has include vitamin C, vitamin B6, magnesium, calcium, lauric acid, iron, zinc, phosphorous etc. With so many nutrients, this tonic is the right match for you in this time of rapid development in your body.
Specific benefits of drinking tender coconut water are:
1. Relieves constipation: One of the main problems during pregnancy is constipation. Coconut water is a natural laxative which is sure to relieve constipation if taken regularly. Its high fiber content is mainly responsible for dealing with constipation.
2. Subsides acidity and heart burn: Coconut water is known to neutralize acid in the tummy giving your freedom from acidity and constipation. Have a cup of coconut water before your meals for best results.
3. Best Beverage: With the right balance of electrolytes and other nutrients, this drink comes first on the list of best beverages during pregnancy. It can easily replace your caffeine time to give you a rush of good health.
4. Helps in managing blood sugar: This low- calorie drink is all that you can ask for if you have gestational diabetes. Instead of opting for other sugary drinks, drinking coconut water can bring you more satiety subsiding your craving for sugars. High fiber content and low natural sugar is the perfect combination for managing your blood sugar levels.
5. Manages blood pressure: In case you have hypertension or are at risk of developing it or if you want to prevent it, just grab a cup of coconut water daily. Its high potassium content helps controlling blood pressure levels.
6. Builds immunity: High amounts of anti-oxidants and vitamin C in coconut water helps boost your immunity. So, drinking coconut water is sure to protect you and your baby from many common diseases.
7. Protects you against infections: Presence of lauric acid which has anti-bacterial, anti-fundal and anti-viral properties help in preventing and fighting infectious diseases like flu.
8. Excellent Diuretic: One more reason why it helps prevent hypertension is that coconut water is an amazing diuretic which does not allow excess water to stay in the body. It keeps Urinary tract infections at bay. It is also known to maintain your kidney health preventing stones from forming.
9. Prevents and manages dehydration: Because of the right balance of electrolytes in coconut water, it helps in preventing and relieving dehydration. Pregnant women are prone to dehydration, so, in case you are facing nausea and vomiting episodes or simply exercise, keep coconut water handy with you and sip it up to stay hydrated and overcome exhaustion.
10. Relaxes you: With high amounts of magnesium, it helps relax all your muscles. With your body already working so hard to make a baby, such relaxation is a reward.
With so many health benefits, coconut water is a drink that requires no second thoughts. Make sure you have freshly cut coconut water from a green coconut which looks fresh. Avoid tetra pack or bottled coconut water since it may contain preservatives and added sugar. Do not keep coconut water after it has been cut open since this may reduce its nutritional value due to oxidation of many nutrients and make it more prone to contamination too.
Enjoy 1 to 2 cups of coconut water daily. It is fit for you but is not the replacement for water. Do mindful drinking for best pregnancy outcomes for you and your baby.
Read from 5000+ Articles, topics, verified by MYLO.
100% Secure Payment Using
Stay safe | Secure Checkout | Safe delivery
Have any Queries or Concerns?
Trusted by 10+ million young parents Mylo is India’s #1 Pregnancy & Parenting App. Mylo app will guide you through your whole parenting journey. Download now