Written on 14 August 2018
Pregnancy is a journey unlike any other, the process is extracting and extremely strenuous on a mother's body. During this time beauty treatments are a welcome distraction for the expecting mother.
However, some beauty treatments may do more harm than help and should be avoided. Here are Beauty treatments that an expecting mother should go for and five treatments that she should avoid.
Treatments that expecting mothers should go for:
1) Prenatal massage- Nothing relaxes like a massage. During pregnancy when your feet are swollen, your body is aching all over, you have one headache after another a massage is a blessing. Besides relaxation massage has a lot of other benefits like improving circulation, reducing headaches, alleviating joint pain, reducing swelling in feet, and helping improve sleep quality.
2) Manicure and Pedicure- This is a mostly harmless procedure, but should be avoided during the second trimester. The main risk with a manicure and pedicure is catching an infection like paronychia or athlete’s foot from unsterilized equipment.
Ensure that the equipment is sterilized, the establishment that you are visiting is well-ventilated and only acetone-free removers and non-toxic nail polishes are used.
3) Facials- A popular treatment that has a lot of benefits for pregnant women. A facial can improve circulation, increase new cell growth, reduce fine lines and wrinkles, deep clean your skin and moisturize. Done in proper sanitary conditions using non-toxic products, facials are perfectly safe for pregnant women. You should also avoid chemical peels, microdermabrasion, and steam facials.
4) Aromatherapy- Aromatherapy coupled with massage is a great way to relax. This is a great way to reduce swelling and aches all over the body. You should go for aromatherapy after your first trimester.
Essential oils like Lavender, Lemon, Sweet orange, Rosewood are preferred during pregnancy, while oils like Cinnamon, Bitter almond, Fennel, Rosemary should be avoided.
5) Body scrubs- They are safe for all pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy. They help remove dead skin, improve blood circulation, reduce stretch marks, and help in relaxation.
Treatments that expecting mothers should avoid:
1) Hair removal- During pregnancy there's an increase in hair growth and that results in unwanted hair growth in a lot of places. The best way to remove hair during pregnancy should be shaving. Avoid chemical peels, laser treatments or waxing as they may irritate the skin and result in skin allergies.
2) Saunas and Hot Tubs- A sauna or hot tub is a great way to relax normally. However, you should avoid them during pregnancy. Rising body temperature due to the sauna or hot tub can be fatal for the baby or cause birth defects.
3) Tattoos and Piercing- Chemicals present in tattoo ink and piercings can cause skin irritation and skin infections.
4) Excessive use of chemical products- You should avoid chemical products like Beta hydroxy acids, Dihydroxyacetone (DHA), Parabens and stick to organic products.
Read from 5000+ Articles, topics, verified by MYLO.
100% Secure Payment Using
Stay safe | Secure Checkout | Safe delivery
Have any Queries or Concerns?
Trusted by 10+ million young parents Mylo is India’s #1 Pregnancy & Parenting App. Mylo app will guide you through your whole parenting journey. Download now